Friday, January 02, 2009

I'm so not an office guy

2009 has begun, I'm another year older (as I celebrated my 36th birthday on Jan. 1), and as I'm putting in my first hours of work in the New Year, I'm reminded of how much I don't like to be in my office.

Why? There's no one there, for one.  I'm the only "employee" of my church. And being a pastor, I'm kind of in the people business, so it doesn't make much sense to be in an environment where I can't meet and talk with people.  Besides, you never know what you're going to get at my office since the heat & air conditioning are pretty tempermental.  Plus our wireless router is going bad, so my internet connection is off and on (and I'm too lazy to replace it).  So I basically pop in there every once in a while to grab a book I need or print something off.  Other than that, it's only coming in for various meetings and such.

So where do I work?  I have many offices in Springfield, depending on where I want to be and what I want to drink or eat or where I may have meetings set up with people.  Here's typically where I hang:

Downtown: my favorite place is Cafe Moxo...free internet, bottomless coffee, and unbelievable soups.  My second favorite downtown place is Andiamo's...free internet, bottomless coffee, and great pizza-for-one at lunch.

Near Westside: I'm at Brewbaker's quite a bit since it is right around the corner from my house and I usually walk or ride my bike (before my bike was stolen)...free internet and a great selection of coffee, but the food's a little pricey and portions are a tad small. I'm usually at the Monroe/Chatham Rd Starbucks once or twice a week to enjoy a French Vanilla Latte or a Chai Tea Latte.

Further Westside: Despite it getting crazy crowded, I'll end up at Panera a couple times a week simply because of 3 things: free internet, bottomless coffee and pop, and padded chairs...padding is very important. Sometimes I'll go into Barnes & Noble, but usually not to work, but to browse the 'zines and books for purchase.

Eastside: Sometimes I'll end up at the Eastside Panera, but that's become very rare.

North end: Nothing up there, but I've heard a rumor that my cigar shop has free wi-fi (but my wife doesn't appreciate the smell).

South: Don't really hang down there, but I've heard decent things about Centrum Cafe.  We'll see.

So, there you go.  I guess I have many offices around town where I meet, study, plan, and write.  One last note, for late-night meetings, Dublin Pub is my winner.  But no one in their right mind should eat a horseshoe after 8pm.

2 comments:

Daniel said...

But no one in their right mind should eat a horseshoe after 8pm.

What!? Says who? Maybe next time we go I'll have to order the shoe just to be a rebel.

Anonymous said...

Haha! I've turned many of those same places into my "office." Cafe Moxo and Panera (eastside) in particular. Mmmm...Cafe Moxo...not sure what I'd do without an occasional Chatty Kathy!

In unrelated news - I think I'm going to visit Delta this Sunday with Amelia. I'm looking forward to Story Sunday! GREAT idea!