Monday, April 07, 2008

Things have changed

The family and I are in Memphis doing a little vacationing/homeschool learning adventure. We arrived today and our first stop was the National Civil Rights Museum. The NCRM located at The Lorrain Hotel where Dr. Martin Luther King was shot 25 years ago. The museum was an amazing journey through the history of slavery, segregation, integration and equal rights. I was thinking how the difficulties with integration was a factor in my family moving from South Carolina to Chicago in 1974, as my older brothers during their school years dealt with the difficult reality of segregation & integration in the South during that time. And honestly, I hate to say this, but having many family members still in the "old South", there is still a wide gap between blacks and whites.

But there is hope, and things have changed, thanks much to modern-day heroes like Rosa Parks and Dr. MLK.

Today, as we were in the Civil Rights museum, my 2 year old son Aiden got my attention and said "Daddy, look! There's a baby...I'm going to go kiss her." (This is not uncommon, since Aiden has a 1 year old baby sister). But Aiden walked over to a beautiful little black girl, who was around 1 or so like his sister, bent down, and gently kissed her on her cheek. I looked at the little girl's parents and smiled, and they did the same.

Being in Memphis, on the spot where Dr. King was shot, and seeing my very white son treat a little black girl just like he would his sister, brought Dr. King's vision of a day when his children wouldn't get judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.

Things have changed...for the better. Thanks, Dr.

No comments: