Friday, April 04, 2008

Red? Blue? What's a Christian to do?

Have you ever seen a presidential race like the one we're in? Never before has religion, race, gender, war, and economy been such hot issues...and we're talking about the candidates themselves! So, how is a Christ-follower to vote? What is the proper criteria?

I have a couple thoughts, and they're not very conservative by traditional standards. For the first time in my life, I'm really trying to ignore candidates positions on issues like abortion & homosexuality. Now, let me clarify: I have strong positions on these issues. I believe in the sanctity of life from the point of conception and I believe that homosexuality and same-sex marriage is not God's design, and practicing them is sin. But I do not think that those are "make-or-break" issues for the leader of our country.

I firmly believe that government is powerless to legislate morality & issues of the heart. Making a law against abortion will not stop abortion, for example. I believe when it comes to our government leaders, we need to strongly look at leadership in the economic, military, education, social welfare, and foreign diplomacy realms. The issues of morality are beyond the lawmakers. Instead, I think that Christians and the Church in general need to step up more and actually begin living out the Gospel with their fellow man. Because the Church has failed to engage and influence society as God intended, people are now looking to government to lead them morally, and that's not their place.

So this is really a call for Christians to actually live like it and bring the Gospel to people, allowing Jesus to change a person's heart when it comes to issues like love, mercy, protecting life, and living out our relationships as God has designed. This may all sound too idealistic, but it sure feels like what Jesus had in mind. We do not live in a Christian nation, and the only way to live in a Christian nation is to make more Christians; not trying to pass laws influenced by Christianity.

Here's a good blog that gives a good outline on how to engage in politics as a Christ-follower without selling your soul out to any particular political party: http://www.smartchristian.com/?p=5535

1 comment:

Daniel said...

For the first time in my life I'm considering not voting republican. I'm so tired of the same old same olds in government. They screw things up and then we give them more power it's depressing. I may actually vote for Obama no matter how screwed up he is on some issues it's time for a change.