Monday, January 04, 2010

Transforming in 2010

It's been officially 2 months since I've posted anything here. *sigh*

I've been pondering how 2010 needs to be a year of transformation in many ways in my life, my family, and my church. The biggest points of transformation needed I feel are the following: our view of self, our view of others, and our view of situations & circumstances. Let me expound just a bit:
  • View of Self. One of the biggest lies of our pop-psychology happy culture is the need for greater "self-esteem" or "self-worth." This is totally unbiblical and destructive. Left to myself, I'm sinful - totally and completely sinful. Why would I want that greater in my life? As a Christian, what I need is greater "Christ-esteem." Colossians 3:3-4 clearly state that as a Christian, my life is hidden in Jesus and that He is my life. I need "me" to continue to die and for Jesus to live more and more. Only by embracing this truth will my thoughts, actions, words, and attitudes by changed.
  • View of Others. One thing I need to get clear as well (in light of the first point) is to view others properly, especially other Christians. Their lives are Christ as well, and so according to 2 Corinthians 5:16, I must not regard them according to their flesh. This allows me to be free to love, forgive, and pray for other Christians fully confident that the Holy Spirit within them will convict and lead them to truth, and I get to enjoy encouraging them. Now, conversely this also means to view non-Christians as non-Christians and not expect Christian attitudes, affections, or actions from them. I get to freely love them as well and extend to them the grace & mercy they need to experience.
  • View of Circumstances. Colossians 3:2 says to set our minds on things above. I cannot allow my present situation, circumstances, or earthly heartaches to determine how I react. Tim Lane and Paul Tripp, in their book "How People Change" write, 'There is always something bigger than the heartache of the moment." They are talking about the eternal promises of God embodied and given to us in the gospel. This trumps everything and transforms my response to every circumstance in my life.
Now, to be able to be transformed, it takes a submission to the Holy Spirit and submission & transparency to the church community so they can confront & encourage as needed. I pray that 2010 finds much transformation in my life and yours.

May grace be with you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.