Monday, April 20, 2009

How you change

First, I'm currently hanging out in my favorite Chicago neighborhood, Lincoln Park.  So I'm happy :-)  Secondly, I got to hang out with a church planter, Aaron Youngren, who's planting The Line Chicago, so I'm extra happy.  Thirdly, I was privileged to deliver to the Youngrens some house warming gifts that our church collected for them...much love going around; so I'm super happy.  All this has got me thinking on how people change.  What? You don't see the connection?  Let me explain.

It all has to do with the word I just used: connection.  The only way people change - and I am meaning how people overcome sin patterns, addictions, become more holy, bear for fruit of the Spirit, and generally become more like Jesus - is through being connected.  But connected to what?  More specifically, connected to whom?

First, there is no way you can change without being connected to Jesus through the Person and Work of the Holy Spirit.  You see, when we believe in Jesus, we are given the Holy Spirit who lives in us, regenerates us, and basically makes us a brand new creation. Connection to God the Father, through God the Son, by the power of God the Spirit is primary when it comes to our transformation.

Secondly, there is another connection needed on more practical levels.  What I've seen personally in ministry for the last 16 years and what I see the bible teaching is that we need to be connected to other Christ-followers.  By submitting ourselves to community (spiritual leaders and spiritual friendships), we allow others to speak into our lives for encouragement, support, teaching, correction, confrontation, accountability, and disicpline.  This is where we see scripture come alive regarding Acts 2, Romans 12, Ephesians 4, Galatians 6, and Hebrews 10 and 13. God has given us the Church (other believers, who have the same Spirit in them, by the way) to sharpen us to help us grow.

My time with Aaron today, and the time I spent on the phone with another church planting friend on the phone on my way to Chicago, reminded me of the importance of being connected together, with our foundation of Jesus, in our journeys of growth.

So, are you connected?  First, to Jesus?  Second, to other Christ-followers?  It is your only hope for change.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I fully agree that we are changed by our connections/relationships.

But what if the community- the connection- you try to submit yourself to does not want you?

What if that connection only creates bitterness and pain?

Does one continually look at oneself to see what is wrong with him; continually forgive the connection?

Or does one disconnect fully to prevent negative change?

Ryan said...

My first thought is that you can't skip over #1 and go straight to #2. There has to be the process of belief, repentance, forgiveness, etc between you and Jesus. If we put most of our eggs in the 'community' basket we will end up hurt, frustrated, bitter, and defeated because people are imperfect, sinful, and selfish.

If you are a part of a community that is truly trying to live in the Gospel, as you are truly trying to live in the Gospel, then there is much opportunity for encouragement, acceptance, and growth. If either end is not fully immersed in the Gospel - or trying to be - community becomes "people-centric" and not "Jesus-centric".

The Bible says that "love covers a multitude of sins." The Gospel gives us the ability to have our identity in Jesus, and not people, so we can show and receive mercy, grace, and forgiveness.

But there are no easy, clean answers...only messy ones because we're talking about people. And living in true biblical community is much harder than it sounds.

Thanks for the comments!
Ryan