Wednesday, February 21, 2007

How offensive are you?

I would like to take a moment of silence for Chief Illiniwek. Tonight at the Illinois/Michigan basketball game is his last dance. He's been the symbol of The Fighting Illini's competative spirit for over 80 years. When he stepped out onto the field or court, he would get the crowd in a frenzy and let the opposing team know that they were in for a battle.

But no more.

He has been labeled as "offensive" to some Native Americans, noting that the dances he does are mimcking important religious ceremonies and his dress reflects more of the Souix tribe than the actual Illini tribe. They saw him as a mockery or their heritage and an insult to their beliefs and culture.

So, the Chief is now gone, as soon will be the Illini logo that also bears his image. I'm not going to sit here and say why they shouldn't be offended and that they're making a really big deal out of nothing. I do wonder what's in store now for teams like the Florida State Seminoles, the Atlanta Braves, and the Cleveland Indians. I precedent has now been set, and sooner or later another group will go after them.

But this has got me thinking about being offensive to people. We all offend somebody most all of the time. No two people hold exactly the same views, use the same language, hold the same ideals, or think the same thoughts. We all say and act in ways that hurt people, albeit intentionally or unintentionally. So, do people need to thicken up their skin or do people need to be more sensitive or both?

As a Chrisitan, I need to accept the fact that I will offend people with my faith. I mean, it's a very exclusive thing. I believe that the Bible is the Word of God. I believe that Jesus is God and is the only way to heaven. I believe in absolute truth. That's really offensive to most of our pluralistic society.

Galatians 5:11 talks about the "offense of the cross"; meaning that the Gospel will tick people off. When you in essence tell people who aren't believers that their philosophies or religion (or lack there of) are flat-out wrong, what do you expect them to do? They're going to be offended, get angry, hurt, and think that we're nuts. But it's really not about that. It's really not about their feelings, or ours...it's about being true and bold in proclaiming the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Now, before you run out and just start spouting off telling people they're going to Hell, remember what Paul wrote in Colossians 4:5-6 "Conduct yourselves wisely toward outsiders (ie, outside the faith), making the best use of the time. Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may now how you ought to answer each person." We are always to speak and act out of love, not judgment. We need to make sure that we truly are living out the Gospel by people of love, peace, kindness, generosity, and servitude. That way we earn the right to speak the Gospel and have it fall on fertile ears.

But be aware: you'll still offend people.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

I wrote a blog recently on "Chief Illiniwek" and why I thought he was truly offensive to not only Native Americans, but to all minorities in this country.

You are right in saying that, something will always offend people. As a fellow Christian, I have often wrestled with how my beliefs (and how I present them) offend others. As you said, I have come to the conclusion that this is inevitable, but that I do have a choice in the matter at times. Being that I am a very liberal Christian, I probably come into less contact with these situations than more conservative Christians, but I always try and keep in mind what you've said. If my goal is to win souls for Christ, then I can't burn my bridges before I've even stepped out on them.

As my mother has always told me, "you have no heaven or hell to send anyone to." I'm not God, so I can't tell someone they're going to Hell, and I would never do that. But it is a strange feeling when you feel that you know the "absolute truth," and want to share it even though you know people might become upset.

So, the only way I've found to remedy that situation is to live my life. The Bible says that people will know us by our fruits. I don't have to mention Jesus' name at all. I don't have to mention Heaven or Hell. All I am charged to do is follow Christ through having a personal relationship with Him and acting that way in what I say and do. That way, if Christianity ever comes up, I am less liable to offend people because I refuse to pass judgement (a Biblical principle) and because they've seen me lead my life in such a way that would have them to believe that I just might be on to something.

Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Hey Ryan!! We all miss you at Crosscurrent. I'm not sure you will remember me, but I will never forget you. You have impacted my life so much, and I will always be grateful. I just wanted to say that I really like this devotional. I have been keeping up with you and reading them as you post them. Recently I have been having trouble with being offensive to people. It seems like everyone I talk to about religion gets offended by me and my beliefs and always has something negative to say to me. But this has brought my spirits up. Now I think I understand more that the whole point isn't to please them, it's to please God. Thanks so much for posting this!! I love you and miss you!! And I would loooove to stay in touch with you! Hope Dawn and the new baby are doing well. I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

-Joann Patrick

Anonymous said...

I forgot to say that my email address is KitKat092@comcast.net....please email me sometime!!!